Today’s Halloween Craft idea is brought to you by Emma, who has recently discovered that she loves making slime after we were sent a package of products to try from Elmer’s.
After lots of slime making experimentation, she had the great idea to make some green glitter slime with eyes in it – perfect for Halloween!
I love a good eye craft; stick a pair eyes onto anything and it’s instantly 100% more fun! Add lots of eyes and you cross over into creepy, kooky-fun.
This little pile of slime with eyes reminds me of an alien blob monster from a kitschy.
Emma particularly enjoys shaking the eye slime because the eyes make a cool rattling sound. Left overnight the eyes all float through to the top of the slime like they have a mind of their own. Aptly creepy.
I can’t say I’m a particularly big fan of the whole slime phenomenon, but the kid seems to love it, and anything that encourages screen free time is OK by me.
This particular slime recipe is borax-free, so it’s safe for kids to make and play with.
The benefits of making slime
- Playing with slime is great sensory experience that many kids find calming and relaxing.
- It’s creative and fun to experiment with different textures, colours and scents.
- Making slime together is a great opportunity to spend time with your kids.
- Kids get a great sense of achievement when they create their own slime.
You will need:
- Green Glitter Glue 6oz bottle (or clear PVA glue, green food colouring and glitter)
- Elmer’s Magical Liquid slime activator
- Small eyes (10mm or smaller than 1/2″) about 20
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cup
- Empty whole bottle of glitter glue into bowl. If you are using clear glue, add a few drops of green food colouring and glitter at this stage. Mix in well.
- Measure out a 1/4 cup of Elmer’s magical liquid.
- Add magical liquid to glue a little at a time and stir till combined, you may not need whole amount.
- Remove slime from bowl and knead with hands until it reaches desired consistency. If you let it sit for a while the slime becomes firmer and less sticky.
- Add in the eyes and knead through the slime.
- All done! Have fun playing with your monster eye slime!
Store your slime in a sealed container or zip-loc bag to keep it clean and fresh. So many ways to play with your freshly made googly eye slime. You can stretch it.
Slime is a Non-newtonian fluid, which behaves both as a solid or a liquid depending on how forces are exerted onto it. That’s why it can pour and bounce, stretch and tear. Interesting right? A Non-newtonian fluid is neither a liquid or a solid. It can be picked up like a solid, but it also will ooze like a liquid.
Anyway you play with it, it’s lots of fun.
Goes without saying – keep it off upholstery and carpets because it will ooze right into every fibre